The cornerstone of the College Building, as it was originally known, was laid by Prime Minister Laurier on July 29, 1910. The building was under construction until 1912. During the spring of 1911 the decision was made to use local stone for the main building material. Greystone became the most important local building material.
The College Building was reopened in September of 2005 after extensive restoration work, for which the University received a 2006 City of Saskatoon Heritage Award in the category of Restoration-Interior Public/Commercial.