Trounce House, located at the rear of 512-10th Street, Saskatoon, was built in 1883 as the sixth permanent residence in the Temperance Colony and is the City’s oldest building. The residence of Harry and Bessie Trounce and their young family during the mid-1880s, the house remained in its original location at the front of the lot until 1920, when the family of Lyell Gustin moved it to the back of the lot to make way for the building of their home. During the 1920s, the Gustins modified Trounce House to serve as a garage/shed.
The Gustin/Trounce Heritage Committee Inc., after restoring Gustin House in 2005, turned its attention to Trounce House. Following months of planning for the stabilization of this fragile historic structure, and with the collaboration of a fine professional team—Stantec Architecture, D2 Construction, and Wiebe Movers--the small building was successfully raised and undergirded with steel beams on May 23-24, 2007! The following day, it was expertly moved further into the lot to await the pouring of a concrete pad. After some repairs, Trounce House was re-set onto its new firm base in early summer of 2007. Further work will take place in future.
In the designation of the Dr. Lyell Gustin Residence as a Provincial Heritage Property on April 24, 2008, Trounce House was noted to be “one of the oldest surviving houses in Saskatchewan . . . [contributing] to the property’s overall significance.” For more information, please see www.gustinhouse.ca.
Photo credit: Michael Pomedi